Thursday, November 24, 2011

First Sunday of Advent-2011



Isaiah 63: 16-17, 19; 64: 2-7
Psalm 80:2-3, 15-16, 18-19
1 Corinthians 1:3-9
Mark 143:33-37

We have a favorite place we love to go every summer.  It’s quiet, beautiful, and out of town.  We get a chance to escape the craziness of our daily lives and connect with one another.  Our cell phones have spotty service, the satellite TV is broken, and the most modern appliance in the kitchen is a Radar Range.  We don’t mind, and truth be told, we love this place.  We don’t go there for the amenities; we go there for solitude and serenity.  We go there for spiritual renewal.  We go there to spend time with one another playing games, reading books, watching old movies, making plays from story books, taking hikes, going fishing, hanging out on the dock, watching the sun set, chasing frogs, peeing in the woods (ok – that’s the boy’s fun!), flashlight tag, stargazing.  We love this place not only because of the individual renewal we experience but also because of the reconnection and growth we feel with each other.  This is our idea of heaven on earth.



In the weeks leading up to our trip we spend a lot of time getting ready.  We have to book the cabin and the fishing guide.  We plan all our meals and make a detailed grocery list.  We check the fishing tackle and make a trip to Bass Pro to ensure we have all the proper gear.  As the departure day grows near there is a buzz in the air.  Everyone is a little restless and excited.  What are we going to forget this year?  What’s going to be the highlight this year?  The night before we leave we are so excited to start the trip that none of us can sleep.

As we begin the Advent season and our new church year we have an opportunity to prepare our spirits and our hearts for the coming of Christ; not just the birth of our Savior but his coming again.  This week the Gospel of Mark warns us to be on guard and stay awake.  When I look at my own life I wonder if I put more preparation into my vacation than into the preparation of my soul for my eternal life.  I wonder why I get more excited about fishing in Minnesota than the birth of my Savior.  I wonder why Christmas has started to feel more like a chore than the celebration of Christ’s Birth.  I have to ask myself, what can I do to create a more meaningful Advent?

This Sunday’s reading from Corinthians reminds us that we “are not lacking in any spiritual gift as you wait for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ.” 1 Corinthians 1:7  Through the graces of God I am already blessed with everything my soul needs.  It is my lethargy, self-absorption and unfaithfulness that tarnish my spirit. In recognizing these shortcomings I might find the first steps to a more fruitful Advent. 

Last Saturday I wandered into The I. Donnelly Company, a religious articles store.  I poked around a bit in the Advent section and found a book of Advent Meditations that spoke to me and I bought it.  I am committing time each morning to reading, reflecting and preparing for Advent.  I have my space prepared by my chair with my prayer candle, Bible and new meditations book. 

This is the season of waiting, of transforming, of letting the potter work on us again, strengthening us to be fired and ready to be used as a thing of beauty.  Wont’ you let the potter mold your spirit during this beautiful season of Advent?


I have found some helpful and meaningful web resources

First Sunday in Advent    jam packed with biblical history, a great scriptural explanation
Our Sunday Visitor- Advent great website with an e-book and daily reflections
Sunday Scripture Study - thought provoking questions and great meditation

Songs for this week
The Potter's Hand by Hillsong

I-phone & I-pad Apps
Advent Companion 2011 by Magnificat (sorry I don't know how to give you a link)

No comments:

Post a Comment