Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Distracted

Last night when I was getting ready for bed I noticed that my underwear was inside out.  It was one of those moments when you say to yourself, "Really?"  How had I gone the entire day and not noticed?  I hadn't felt any discomfort, not twisties, no wedgies - nothing.  The next moment I experienced a huge 'God Slap'.  This is the season of Advent.  We are supposed to be on guard and AWAKE.  We are supposed to be preparing our hearts for the birth of our Savior and for our everlasting life.

My entire day had been consumed by health insurance since our family insurance ends tomorrow.  I was talking to the state dept. of insurance, I was researching insurance online, I was talking to friends about insurance, I was getting quotes from an insurance broker.  At the end I am more confused about insurance, frustrated with the entire industry and mostly pissed off that despite that fact that we never go to the doctor and are healthy people, we really can't afford insurance.  I spent my entire day without a thought about God.  I spent the entire day in a state of fear.  How can God live in my heart if it is consumed by fear?  Then one word came to me...AWARE.  Before I can be AWAKE and ALERT for God, I must be AWARE of him in my life.  Then I started thinking about all the things I missed yesterday because I was so distracted - all the blessings in my life that are subtle reminders of God's love for me.

So today, a new day.  I am going to be AWARE.

1 comment:

  1. Cindy-I just discovered this blog when you left a comment on ours just now. What beauty in a crazy world. Thank you, especially for this post.

    ReplyDelete