Sunday, December 11, 2011

3rd Sunday of Advent


 Isaiah 61:1-2, 10-11
Psalm: Luke 1:46-50, 53-54
1 Thessalonians 5:16-24
John 1:6-8, 19-28


 John the Baptizer has always been one of those characters I find very mysterious.  He's sorta the guy who appears to have the minor role in the play but it is indeed a crucial one.  He makes these appearances, does his little tap dance and then disappears.  The two main things I know of John is that he "leaped in his mother's womb" and then became this crazy, weird guy who lives in the desert eating bugs and proclaims Jesus as the Messiah (and of course baptizes Him). 

I have been blessed to give birth to three beautiful sons.  Each pregnancy was a little different but I can honestly say that none of my boys "leaped" in my womb.  I loved being pregnant and enjoyed the time when I could feel the baby moving around, sticking an elbow out as if to say, "Hey, I need a little more room in here".  I think these baby movements solidify the reality that there is a baby in there.  "Leaping" at the presence of another unborn baby - not in the realm of my experiences.

Thinking about this causes me to reflect on a couple of scripture verses.
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." - Psalm 139:13
"For I know well the plans I have in mind for you," says the LORD, "plans for your welfare not for woe! plans to give you a future full of hope."

It seems to me that John knew the plans God had for him from the very beginning.  He knew what he was supposed to do. "John the Baptizer understood that life wasn't all about him. He emptied himself willingly and was thereby able to reveal Jesus to others. His humility opened a space within him for true joy to take root and he was set free! John is a sign of contradiction for an age drunk on self worship and lost in narcissistic self absorption. He is held out to us as an example in Advent to show us the how we can find happiness as well."  (By Deacon Keith Fournier - Catholics.org)

I think about John as an adult and about how he was very counter cultural.  He was isolated and lived a life very different from most.  He was pretty much invisible.  I wonder about all the invisible people I fail to notice every day; all the people I judge before knowing anything about them.  What important role has God given them in the creation of His kingdom?  

How do I get in the way of God's will?  How am I sabotaging God's plan with my self absorption? What joy am I missing because I'm self-absorbed? How can I be the light that leads others to Christ? These are big questions to think about and pray about.  I know I will find a more joyful life when I get out of God's way.

Let us pray the words of John Baillie, " O Light that never fades, as the light of day now streams through these windows and floods this room so let me open to you the windows of my heart, that all my life may be filled by the radiance of your presence. ... Let there be nothing within me to darken the brightness of the day." Amen

Here's some scripture study for this 3rd week of Advent that I enjoyed.
Advent Reflection: Learning Happiness and Freedom from John the Baptizer   
Advent Scripture Study - Sunday Readings 
Scripture Study Calendar

Songs
Yes by John Waller
Alive by Rebecca St. James

No comments:

Post a Comment